Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Dizzy

I have no concept of time right now. The last two months have gone by faster than any previous two months of my life, and my head is spinning as I try to figure out what I did with my ‘summer.’ – you know, summer, that coveted perk that everyone envies teachers for. Now, I don’t want to make any grand policy-related statements here, but I just have to throw this out there. Most teachers don’t plant their asses on a beach for three months straight, sipping margaritas and devouring satisfying literature, as is commonly thought among the non-teaching population. I’m sure some teachers do, and I’m as jealous of them as you are.

But then there are the rest of us—those of us New Yorkers who had school until June 28th, thereby immediately trimming our summer down to a lean 2 months. Then I attended three full-time weeks of unpaid trainings, peppered throughout those two precious months, per my principal’s extremely strong suggestions (slash orders), leaving one broken up month worth of time remaining. Did I mention that I was taking two online grad classes July 14th-August 23rd? Pffff!!! Online courses. Cake, right? HA! Yeah, they fooled me too, but those heartless bastards assigned ~200 pages of reading/week with papers and responses to classmates’ papers due every week. I wrote well over 100 pages worth of papers this summer, so that shaved off a nice chunk of time as well. Then I received word that, despite the illegality of it, my principal announced that we are all required to come to school before our contracted start date to set up our classrooms on our own time. He informed us that we would not be given time during the two days before the students’ arrival because he has staff development planned for us. So that’s another unpaid yet required work week for setting up my room. (Side note: On my first day to my school to set up my classroom, some jackass in the subway station decided he needed my phone more than I did and stole it out of my hands and ran with it. It was a nice welcome to the neighborhood.) Add in the summer planning meetings I had with other teachers and the time spent creating materials for my classroom and curriculum, and you’re down to just a handful of actual, responsibility-free ‘summer’ days.

As I said, I’m not making any grand statements about teacher pay here because there certainly are a number of teachers out there who truly do soak up a long, restful vacation in the sun. All I’m aiming for in this post is to open the eyes of a few “teachers have it easy”- sayers out there. Some of us work our asses off year-round and see less money than the custodians who don’t help us move furniture or clean out our mouse-infested classrooms come late August. So stop envying us! Some of us chose this line of work because we love our students and would do anything for them, not for the great benefits and sweet vacation time. So do me a favor and next time you hear someone say, “Man, teachers have it so easy,” punch them in the face. Tell them that the good teachers don’t leave school every day at 3pm and don’t have vast stretches of any real vacation.

Hehe… this was such a stupid, self-wallowing, soapbox post. My apologies. I just really can’t believe school is starting tomorrow- on my birthday(!) before I felt like my summer even began. But it’s time to suck it up, stop feeling sorry for myself, and shape some young minds. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger NameChanged said...

I feel your pain. I taught six weeks of summer school immediately following my college graduation. It was teaching by fire. "Here are a bunch of underachievers who have to be here on their vacation. Teach them a full year in 6 weeks, oh and don't forget to include Julius Caesar in your curriculum."

After that I had to hunt for a fall job, and we started on August 17th (in the scorching southwest). As for my "vacation" I spent a few days reading, but mostly I was job hunting and planning for my first year.

You are a blessing to many students, so don't give up. And eventually we will get our "sweet vacations."

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 12:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Accredited life experience degree programs by AshwoodUniversity that are specially designed to meet your specific needs and to provide you recognition for your achievements.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 3:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear, Hear!!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:28:00 AM  
Blogger Dan Brown said...

I like your blog a lot! I wrote a book about my rookie year as a NYC Teaching Fellow in the Bronx. It just came out: "The Great Expectations School: A Rookie Year in the New Blackboard Jungle" by Dan Brown.

You should consider writing one yourself!
Best,
Dan

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You touched on so many reasons why great teachers leave the profession I don't even know where to start! I laughed out loud at your moving furniture and mouse poops comments- I too have hurt my back dragging furniture around and swept mouse turds out of my room (not to mention actually catching a live mouse in a trash can and letting it outside). I am currently writing a book called Why Great Teachers Quit- and it addresses many of the areas you talked about in this post. PLEASE visit my blog http://whygreatteachersquit.wordpress.com and answer the survey questions or leave some open ended comments about why you think great teachers are leaving the profession. And please pass on the blog address to teachers you know who have quit teaching or are thinking strongly of doing so. Thank you for your blog!

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly am inspired by this blog. It speaks volumes to all teachers and is timeless. If this doesn't grab at least one student's attention, I don't know what would. It shows your are deeply concerned and geniunely care about the respect students should have for you and for each other. We see them act inpropriately daily and unfortunately, it is within their nature to be kids and do these things because for most of them, it may not be taught at home. We have to nurture them and mold them to also become respectful, deceit human beings as part of our jobs. I could not have expressed it any better. Nice post!

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your blog entry. I am in the teaching profession myself. Recently, I was reminded that we do not get paid for the summer months, so "summers off" is a fallacy, because we are only hired to work from Sept. to June. Although, as you note, we are often called to extend that timeframe. With the "new" certification changes in NY State, teachers are required to obtain professional development credits in order to keep their certificates active, so I am sure that there are few spending many hours on the beach these days.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home