Thursday, May 18, 2006

A disheartening low point as the year's end nears

ELA students,

I will not yell over you, and I will not tolerate the disrespect that has been shown in this room over the last couple days. Get to class on time, expect to work while you are in this room, and save the bad attitudes, talking back, and insults for some place less important.

This is an English class. You will use the skills we are building in this class for the rest of your life. Not caring about your reading and writing skills means not caring about your future. You deserve only the best, and I know what you’re capable of because I’ve seen it at various points throughout the year. Don’t sell yourself short by blowing off opportunities to grow and improve.

We said from the beginning of the year that in room ###, we are a team, and we are scholars. Act like it. It both sickens and saddens me to watch my students tear each other apart with insults, shoving, and hitting. By June 28th, we will have spent 180 days together- 270 hours in this classroom alone. We have been through great days and terrible days together. Like it or not, we are a team. Teams stick together until the end. They don’t fall apart and give up on themselves 29 days from the end.

I care too much about each and every one of you to watch our class take steps backward and go back on all the progress we’ve made. Throughout the year, some of you have insulted my appearance from head to toe, called me names, cursed me out, damaged my books, stolen from me, prank called me on the cell phone number I trusted you with, shoved each other into me, threatened me, thrown things at me, and even straight up told me you hated me. I’d be lying if I told you that that abuse didn’t leave its mark, but none of it has stopped me from believing in a single one of you. The fact that I know what you’re capable of and my desire to make you realize it for yourself are what get me here every morning. All of that other stuff seems small compared to the high hopes and expectations I have for each of you.

We have six weeks left together. Your grades are not fully determined yet, and it is up to you to decide what you’re capable of and go after it. If you’ve been giving this class, or school in general, less than your best, ask yourself why, and decide how you’re going to change it. Change it for yourself and for those around you who care about their education.

Love,

Ms. ----------

Upon distributing and reading this letter to one of my classes, they laughed. I cried. It was a bad day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might like to read Two Parts Textbook, One Part Love. I read it eight years ago before my first day of teaching, and I cannot remember the author's name.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your letter rings of my sentiments -- and my writings/talks -- from my first year, which just ended. I'm an ELA teacher (eighth grade) as well. While each class (and sometimes individual students) needed such words as yours at times, there was that _one_ class that merited your letter/my words sublimely more than others. I'm so sorry to read of their response. Let's hope it really resonated with some of them. Part of the toughness of this first year, I've found (and perhaps you'll agree), is not having prior students who can return and assure you that you did something right and meaningful with them. As rookies, we can tell ourselves, "Maybe I've had an effect," while we guard that internal anxiety, "What if I really didn't reach them?" It can be extremely trying to continue despite the sometimes harsh and rude words and actions you've faced. While students probably did not approach you and unleash waves of apologetic gratitude the following day, I'm sure that hearing your letter really did touch many of them...

I'm reading your blog (the current page, at least) chronologically, so I've yet to see how your year ended. Hopefully, you're feeling slightly refreshed and eager to begin the next year. It feels pretty satisfying to know you got through that first year and have a base to improve upon. You made it... Congratulations. :)

Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, do you still check thhis blog? Well, I was thinking it would be fun to do a textual analysis of your letter with your students. In other words, what is the "theme" of the letter and what is the author arguing. Also, it brings up a lot of interesting questions about authority and power in the class room.

I had similar experiences to you. I realized you can't take a single thing they say about you personally. It's their way of reacting to their sitation. It's tough to not personalize their anger, but it's not really for you, it's for the system at large and their lack of agency in that system. Anyway, blah blah right?

Well, just a thought.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home