Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Didn't see that one coming...

My school is closing at the end of the year.

This was announced to the staff at yesterday's professional development meeting and was met with a wide range of reactions among our tiny staff. I was pretty shocked and somewhat upset by the news. Although my kids really do make me crazy some days, and I am often frustrated with the lack of resources and organization at the school, there's something to be said for the fact that I AM building something there. My kids are starting to trust me and count on me. The idea of the school just not existing next year and the very real chance that my students will just be scattered among various schools does make me kind of sad. Remember how hard it was to make friends and start to feel settled in 7th grade? (If you don't, then you were probably a 'cool kid' and I didn't like you :) ) Well, a lot of them are going through that right now, and they'll have to do it all again next year. But they'll be entering schools with classes that were already together for 6th and 7th grade. I know I'm being a bit sensitive about this, but it does make me sad. The silver lining however, is that I think it's given me the kick in the ass I needed to keep pushing myself to make this a great year for them.

There's actually a pretty crazy twist in addition to all of this, but I don't think I should get too far into it on a public web site. Too many politics involved. Call me if you want to hear the details. Sorry to be mysterious and weird about it, but this is a mysterious and weird situation, so there you go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home