Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Induction

I started writing this at TFA induction one night. Then I got cut off. I am truly amazed at the schedule TFA demands from us. I’m at Institute (training) right now, and I’ll tryyyy to post about that soon, but for now, here are some of my thoughts from the one-week NYC induction. ….

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who has emailed or called me to ask how moving went and how induction is going. It really really makes my day to hear from all of you. Please keep writing. I’ll respond whenever my Owner (TFA) allows me to. :)

I’m in the midst of a serious missing phase right now. I miss my family. I miss my DC friends. I miss my Madison friends. I miss Madison and its endless scenic trails that allowed me to rollerblade for uninterrupted hours. I miss being able to sit on my deck in Minnesota and hear silence, broken only by an occasional bird chirping (or my hyperactive but lovable dog barking.) I’m nearing the end of my weeklong TFA induction, and now I’m catching my breath. The funny/slightly terrifying part is that this is NOTHING compared to Institute- which starts next week. The schedule they sent us shows non-stop activity (summer school teaching and prep, grad classes, meetings, trainings, etc.) from 6am-midmight M-F for 5 wks. Eh?!

No, I’ll be fine. It’s not necessarily the long hours that are getting to me. It’s the mental marathon involved. I’m not ashamed to admit that there’s a significant part of me that’s a loner. I really really enjoy being by myself for a couple hours/day. To read, write, sing without caring what I sound like, dance around the room like a jackass if the spirit moves me, perhaps just stare at the wall, etc. I love the effortlessness of solitude for just a small window of my day.

But friends, that is NOT what we’re about here at TFA! Here, we are a team. We are one. We are a unit. We are “The Movement.” (Yes, that’s really what it’s referred to… over and over and over and….. I feel like I’m going to be issued my cult robe after the week is up.) Anyway, solitude isn’t an option in TFA EVER. We have planned workshops and activities all day, planned meals in assigned groups, assigned “social” events in the evenings, etc etc. And we live with five people/dorm room. It’s just a very intense experience for me because I really value my ME-time.

But I’m happy overall. I really like my roommates. We get along well, and I’ve really enjoyed our late-night chats about random stuff. I hope we keep in touch throughout Institute and once we’re back in NYC. …..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home