Wednesday, June 01, 2005

...and did I catch a niner in there?

Friends, that fateful moment has arrived (and passed). Last night I got an email from TFA, informing me that I have been placed in Region 9. I am QUITE happy about this. For those of you who are not familiar with NYC's Instructional Regions, Region 9 includes a sizable slice of Manhattan as well as South Bronx. According to the map, this puts me in very close proximity to the small handful of people that I know in NYC and within a short commute to some pretty sweet things to see and do. Yeeeeah!!! I'm really really excited. TFA said that most Region 9ers live in the Upper East Side, so if you know of any good apartments there, let me know.

In other news, also along those "the stars are aligning" ummm lines(?)... My friend/coworker/TFA alum Jashyboy (as Alyssa likes to call him) has bumped up the date that he's moving to Boston to June 18. What this means for me: I potentially get to throw some of my things- and maybe myself- in his moving truck which will stop in NYC . Awesome. Now I just need to figure out where in NYC I will put those things, as I will still be a homeless wanderer at that point. Everything seems to be coming together though. Very exciting stuff. :)

Here is some additional info about Region 9 for anyone who might care...
Current Placement Neighborhoods: East Harlem, Lower East Side, Mott Haven, The Hub.
Where Corps Members Live: The majority of corps members who teach in Region 9 live on the Upper East Side.
Statistics: Students with Free Lunch: 66%
Students Performing Below the Standard in English Language Arts: 56%
Students Performing Below the Standard in Math: 51%
You can find these statistics and more at: http://www.nycboe.net/daa/SchoolReports/04asr/9.pdf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home