Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Quite possibly the worst song ever produced

Many months before I started dating the Best Guy in the world for me, I briefly dated someone who I will here refer to as Other Guy. There is absolutely no need to give any background about Other Guy because what I'm about to tell you is nothing personal against him.

There. Disclaimer complete.

He made me a CD at some point, and most of it was decent. BUT buried within the many tracks of pretty ok songs, there was one called "You're Divine," by The Stereo. During the first listen or two, I thought it was a sweet, sorta sappy song. It was not until a roadtrip to Florida with a good friend of mine that I realized how insulting the song actually is if you listen to the lyrics. We were running out of musical options once we hit Georgia, so we dug to the depths of our cd collections and pulled out some of the albums we hadn't listened to in weeks or months. Out came Other Guy's mix, and along came my realization of the awfulness of this song. See the lyrics below:

my face is burning from the sun, and I'm not having any fun. everyone is on the run. my friends they tried to let me know, but I tried not to let it show. now I've got no where else to go. and you will not be alone. you can be sure of that cause I don't wanna go. you're divine, so divine. take what's mine. my heart, my soul and everything I own. you make it so believable, so believable that I could have someone to call my own. I lost the race that I had run in place of having anyone. I told myself that I was done. and now I have to see it through cause my loose ends are tied to you. what am I supposed to do? and you will not be alone you can be sure of that cause I don't wanna go. you're divine, so divine. take what's mine. my heart, my soul and everything I own. you make it so believable, so believable that I could have someone. what do I have to do? what can I say to get to you? what if it is much worse on the inside? maybe what I said was wrong and maybe we weren't meant to get along. maybe i feel much worse on the inside? on the inside, on the inside. you're divine, so divine. take what's mine. my heart, my soul and everything I own. well, you make it so believable, so believable that I could have someone

In summary: I'm a sad, pathetic individual who feels like I'm kind of stuck with you because I really don't think I can do any better, but I'm too weak and insecure to try. Awww, thanks honey! You always know just what to say! Whether that's what Other Guy meant or not is irrelevant. The point we're focusing on right now is the sheer terribleness of this song.

We laughed for half of Georgia as we replayed this song over and over and over, belting it out of the top of our lungs. (Also important: the lead singer has a wretched, somewhat pubescent voice so it really adds to the badness and funniness of the song.) I am only sharing this story today because I just got an email from this now faraway roadtripping friend, and she reminded me of the fun we had tearing this song apart.

Just for good measure, I will now return to my earlier disclaimer: Other Guy was a good person who was kind enough to make me a cd, and I appreciated that. I'm actually thankful that he let this one slip through the cracks because I don't know how we'd have made it through Georgia without that much-needed pick-me-up. I wish I knew how to post an mp3 so I could share this work of art with you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having just had the joy of listening to this song in the office I share with Jenny, I can affirm that it truly is one of the worst songs ever. Isn't there someone out there who can help post this song in mp3 form on her blog? It needs to be heard to be truly appreciated.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home