Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Results are IN!!!

I found out on April 6th that I got into NYCTF to teach special ed- no age given yet. I found out on April 14th that I got into TFA in NYC to teach secondary language arts.

TOUGH CALL.

I like words. A lot. Reading them. Writing them. And, presumably, teaching kids how to use them. I think I could have a lot of fun trying to get students engaged in an English class. Secondary ed though. I hadn't thought of that possibility before. I went into this whole application process, planning to become an elementary teacher. But language arts... very tempting.

I have worked with elementary special needs students in the past. In a very limited capacity, but I loved it. I found it fun, fulfilling, interesting, challenging. But I discovered after my acceptance into NYCTF that it would be a three-year commitment, not two, as I had originally thought. Cold feet. Can I really commit to something that I know SO little about and have such limited experience with? Could a mere seven weeks of training prepare me for NYC’s special ed students? Especially when I know that a lot of under-resourced schools funnel their behavior problem students into special ed just to get them out of the general ed classrooms?

Then the emotional meltdown… Do I want to commit to two or three years in NYC when my boyfriend is thinking about going to grad school in Boston for another three years? One year of a distance relationship under our belts. Am I up for three more? Anxious. Indecisive. Emotional.

Relationship issues follow that winning mix. NOT helping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home