Thursday, April 21, 2005

Researching and deciding

I started the application process with nerves of steel, picturing myself taking on all of the challenges that I knew would exist wherever I taught. Upon getting accepted to both, those visions quickly faded and self-questioning took over. Can I handle a middle school classroom? Are these kids going to chew me up and spit me out? What kind of special ed kids are we talking about here? When are they going to tell me what age I’ve been assigned to? What part of NYC am I in? What would a typical day look like? How much would my masters cost in each program? Who would offer better support?

As I set out to get my questions answered, TFA truly stepped up to the plate. The NYCTF email and phone admissions folks were markedly less knowledgeable and slower to get back to me. I was given contradictory advice by two different admissions reps about whether to turn in my commitment form, resulting in a long delay of my region placement. Since my April 6th acceptance, it is STILL not posted what age or region I will work with. A phone rep told me District 75 today. It’s made up of entirely special ed schools (no gen. ed. classrooms) that house students with severe disabilities, emotional disturbances and behavioral disorders. Still no verdict on what age I’d work with. I told the woman I spoke with that tomorrow was the last day I could register for the my necessary tests. I needed to know which to register for, based on what I’d be teaching. I can’t make that decision without knowing where and who I’m teaching. She shrugged my dilemma off with ease. I asked if I could be put in touch with a current D75 NYCTF fellow. “Ummm…. I don’t think so. You can register for your spring visit though.” Worthless. Those don’t take place for another month or so. I want input NOW, BEFORE making a decision.

Contrast that to TFA. The man who interviewed me left me a voicemail the DAY I was accepted into the program, congratulating me and telling me how excited he was about the prospect of me having my own classroom, how he enjoyed meeting me, saw a lot of potential, etc. Suddenly all of that ‘feel good crap’ was feeling pretty good. Then I got a call from a NYC TFA rep, asking if I had any questions. I fired away for about 45 minutes with questions. She answered them all easily and had people contact me the next day with the few that she was not able to field. As much as I hate all the TFA rhetoric about joining ‘the movement’ and saving the world, I have to say that they are incredibly put together and seemingly well-run. That goes a long way when you’re uprooting your life to attempt teaching in a low-income school. You want a solid program that has your back and is there to answer your questions. I can deal with cheesy slogans and warm fuzziness if it’s going to get me into a classroom and give me a shot at pursuing something I’m really passionate about while providing me with a reliable support network.

The ‘tough shit, you’re on your own’ vibe I got from NYCTF since my acceptance has been very off-putting. And, I think, unfortunate. There’s a huge shortage of special ed teachers, and I was very seriously considering giving it my all. But I’m not going to dive into such a challenging endeavor before knowing whether I’ll be able to rely on support from the program that gets me there. If they’d been willing to work with me, put me in touch with someone to talk with about their special ed experiences in NYC, and tell me what age I’d be teaching so I could make an informed decision, they might have another special ed teacher putting a dent in the shortage. But until they get those kinks worked out, they’ll continue to lose people who feel unsupported and under-informed. I trust those things will happen in the coming years, but for now, I'm going with the seemingly more trustworthy, responsive, supportive program.

I sent my TFA commitment form in a couple days ago. Despite my distaste for their marketing materials. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Nitin said...

Your lack of updates is frustrating:)

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:07:00 AM  
Blogger Nitin said...

I think you should make an e-mail address just for this web site. JleeKNY@gmail.com or something

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

damn it! i wanted to comment before nitin. oh well. i like the site. and you might as well make an address, cause...why not?

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Nitin said...

Chad

I left you a few days to comment before me...You failed, end of story. You're a failure.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Nitin said...

I say we boycott his waste of a site until the author starts updating...

Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

I say we boycott this site's author's boyfriend.

Friday, April 29, 2005 1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Nitin said...

I say we boycott this site's author's boyfriend's friend in chicago's friend who that friend has never met but talks to blog. And we can boycott the friend's blog while we are at it. booyah

Or as my friend, jason yau, says, "booyau"

Friday, April 29, 2005 1:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home